A simple recipe for a natural, wholesome toasted coconut granola. Perfect for enjoying on top of yoghurt, smoothies or just plain by the handful!
If you follow me on Instagram (hint hint, I love instagram!!) then you know how much I have enjoyed jazzing up my smoothies and breakfasts recently! For some reason, making the first meal of the day more interesting and pretty, encourages me to make it healthier and more wholesome, and gives me a better outlook on my day.
The base for the granola is the same as the base for my tropical granola, but I’ve swapped out the tropical fruits for toasted coconut, and exchanged the honey for some extra maple syrup, making this toasted coconut granola completely vegan!
What’s your favourite kind of breakfast? I’d love some more suggestions in the comments!
Super Easy Toasted Coconut Granola
300g Rolled Oats
1 cup (140g) Whole Almonds with the skin on
3/4 cup (210g) Maple Syrup
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (Canola or Vegetable Oil would also work)
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Dessicated Coconut
1/2 Cup Shaved Coconut Pieces
1. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 150 degrees Celsius. My baking tray is 38cm x 25cm.
2. In a heatproof bowl, put the maple syrup and coconut oil into the microwave for 30 seconds until melted and thin. There should be no solid coconut oil left. You could also heat these ingredients in a saucepan on a low heat until the coconut oil has melted instead of using a microwave. Stir in the vanilla extract.
3. Place the oats and almonds into a large bowl and pour the maple syrup mixture onto the oats. Mix until all the oats are coated and then spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet in an even layer.
4. Place the oats into the oven for 45 minutes. Make sure to open the oven and give the oats a stir every 10-15 minutes to ensure even cooking. in the last 15 minutes, add the coconut and stir so it is evenly distributed on the tray.
6. Once the oats have had 45 minutes in the oven, take the tray out and place on a cooling rack. The mixture will still be a little soft and sticky at this stage but it will harden and go crispy as it cools. Allow to cool fully for around 30 minutes then stir with a spoon or spatula to break it up.
Note: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks